The Harrisburg Camera Club has been devoted to photography for 80 years. We have a membership of about 100 members. Our four main focus points are educational programs, photographic field trips, image critique through the evaluation of prints and digital images in both competitive and non-competitive environments and high level image presentation. Currently our membership dues are $30 for an individual, $40 for a family and $20 for students.
Currently our camera club year runs from October to September. We meet virtually every other Tuesday from about 7:00 until 9:00 from September through May in the second floor community rooms of the Giant Grocery Superstore located in Camp Hill at 3300 Trindle Rd. in the Camp Hill Shopping Center. The room is carpeted and we have our own digital projector. In the summer months we meet once in July and once in August. Our membership year starts in October, but you may join at any time. We offer the following:
- Multiple educational meetings on such subjects as flash photography, Photoshop and Lightroom, framing, creative vision, composition and other various photographic topics.
- Photographic field trips with the bulk of them between September and November.
- Mentoring photographic fieldtrips.
- A yearly full-day spring photo workshop in April with over 100 area photographers.
- During the competitive year we have local professional photographers critique the imagery and high level speakers come and present programs to the club.
- Two show and share meetings where members present their digital images and one or two members print critique session.
- Four digital competitions and two print competitions for color and B&W per season.
- Medallion awards for both digital and the print competitions.
- Image of the Year competitions and awards for both digital and prints.
- A year end Awards Banquet in late May.
- Any exhibition opportunities when available.
- The ArtsFest exhibition and print sale for members over Memorial Day weekend at the Harrisburg Riverfront.
As a rule we do not teach photographers how to use a particular brand or model of camera or give detailed instructions on general camera functions on an individual basis. Members learn and enhance their skills thorough field trips, competitions, critiques and educational classes. About half of the educational courses are geared towards computer/Photoshop/Lightroom techniques and the other half towards general photography subjects and field techniques. You will have the opportunity to learn about composition, better exposure practices, the visual thought process and visual communication in the club; but not so much individual hands-on technical knowledge. Much of that knowledge comes from becoming familiar with and using your camera. You are welcome to sit in on our meetings and make a decision based on your comfort level. Thank you for your interest, and please view our brochure here: Club Brochure and Application or become a member now.